To make a soul laugh is a place in heaven secured! As easy as it may seem, it is not so! It is very easy to laugh but make someone laugh? Nada…it needs some talent! And here we are to learn some tricks and foster some tips!
Let’s start with stand up comedians-what are they? Well they are just comedians performing for a live audience!
If you’re thinking where to begin, let me tell you that you’ve got to begin from the starting! And step one involves observing! Yes, observe top class comedians and try to develop the right attitude. And learn from the criticism encountered by them. That’s the best teacher…criticism! And take it lightly, instead of aggravating you because of criticism, change yourself!
Next comes listening to yourself. Record yourself and listen to it. See how you turn out to be and then apply some self – criticism. As stated before, criticism is the best teacher. You need to study the audience too. So for that look at your gestures, see how fast or slow you go. Check your fluency ad make yourself presentable!
In the process remember to never ever copy! If the audience catches you, your carrier is ruined, mark my words! So be original and creative.
Also pay attention to the ethnicity of the crowd you’ll be addressing, their regional and religious beliefs, etc!
Keep these points in mind while writing your script:
- Start with a rough script. Write down the odd or funny events of your life. Or any other instance you find funny, just note it down.
- Insert characters in your script if you want. Then go about modifying it. Add jokes and humor quotes as they strike you. Make the script funny but not overly so.
- Add some successions and antagonistic ideas. But remember not to hurt anyone’s intentions.
- Play your script. See what visually you’ll look like. Take help of props needed. Then correct the script according to your needs.
- Then comes the final step, memorizing the script. If you stutter, stammer or forget lines in between, you’ll surely make the audience laugh but not on your jokes rather on yourself!
You can echo some famous quotes like these:
- Why do people give each other flowers? To celebrate various important occasions they are killing living creatures? Why restrict it to plants, “Sweetheart, let’s make up. Have this deceased squirrel.” – Jerry Seinfeld.
- A woman’s mind is as complex as the contents of her handbag; even when you get to the bottom of it, there is always something at the bottom to surprise you. –Billy Connolly
- You know, marriage is making a big comeback. I know personally that in Hollywood people are marrying people they never married before. – Bob Hope
- Jesus died for our sins. So the least we can do is give him good ones. –The Umbilical Brothers
- I’d be more likely to pick up the Bible if, as well as the classics, it also contained ‘The Ten Commandments of Avoiding a Full Body Search at Customs’ or ‘The Ten Commandments of the Express Lane at the Supermarket’. –Wil Anderson
So spark up the souls! Make people laugh and do some good deed! These tips are for you to follow, but in the end, your talent plays an important role. As Einstein said, “If you judge a fish on its ability to run or a rabbit on its ability to swim, he’d spent whole of his life believing he’s an idiot”. So if you’re not made of comedy stuff, don’t even try!